Thursday, November 09, 2006

then again...

When journalling, I tend to feel as though everything I write must be monumental, even if only in the earthy, poetic sense, and I want this to be a forum for thought -- random, ridiculous thoughts, included. The sky is always listening to the big and the small, and here's some of the small:

So I recently developed a liking for coffee. After years of detesting the bitter brown watery mess, I realized that, like wine, dark chocolate, beer, cheese, and a number of other foods and drinks, there are certain ingestibles that take a while to like, and only once you've tried enough of them to realize what you like and what you don't like do you begin to understand the subtlety of flavor, the depth of expression that tiny sips and bites of such things can contain.

Coffee is my most recent undertaking. I decided that I actually like coffee if it's GOOD coffee, and by "good," I mean that I don't need to add all sorts of sugar and cream to make it drinkable. I also decided that to truly appreciate coffee, I need to understand it by being able to make it. After grossness dripped down from my coffee pot during my first 5 tries, I invested in a french press, read as much as I could online about how others used french presses, bought some coffee beans, and had a go. And what happened? An entire world of difference happened, that's for sure. My first cup, which was thick -- I hadn't yet mastered the coffee grounds to water ratio -- and had bits of bean towards the bottom of the cup, actually had FLAVOR! Flavor that had a surprising amount of depth and texture! amazing. Since then, I've been playing with water temperature, amount of coffee, amount of water, steeping time, etc. and I just wanted to write to say that I just made a cup of coffee that I'm really proud of. fresh grounds in the bottom of the press, about a teaspoon of brown sugar (could have done without this) and a half teaspoon of cocoa. Now that was some good stuff.

I love drinking this because I can't drink it fast. Implied in the taste and warmth of coffee is the way that it makes me take a sip at a time, letting it slide down my throat, down down down 'till I can feel it in my belly. It helps me to slow down, to breathe. Amazing how food and drink can work such magic.

Maybe this blog will turn into an epic ode to that which nourishes my body, mind, and soul.



mmm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home